Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolution Schmesolution

Many many moons ago, when I was still a wacky and ignorantly insightful youth. When I was struggling to find a place in the bustling, cliquey hierarchy of high school, I choose to be the outcast. Not to the extreme of course, but I took pride in being different from everyone else. I didn't want to "fit in". I didn't want to be the statistical average. I was my own person and I was comfortable there. I was "unique".

Once, before the holiday break, we had a teacher ask "what is your New Years resolution going to be?" And just to be different I answered that my resolution would be to never make another New Years resolution. And so far I have managed to stick to it LMAO

Now this is where the ignorantly insightful comes in. Just within the past year I read something that I found inspiring and spot on to what I believed to be true in my heart. And that amazing tidbit was "why wait?" 

Think about what most people make as their resolution; to loose weight, to quit smoking/drinking, to spend less, to give more. These are all life style changes, and as humans we are creatures of habit. Changing your life is hard to do. And there is absolutely nothing that requires it to be New Years in order to be done. And the problem with saying that you are going to start something on a particular day sets you up for disappointment because when you find yourself falling back into your old habits, you feel as though you have failed and then you say "oh well maybe next year".  My grandma was famous for saying "I am going to start my diet on Monday" Every time we saw her she said the same thing. Once my mom said to her "which Monday mom?" Maybe what she should have said to her is "why Monday mom?" 

So this year if you find yourself less than successful in your resolution endeavors, don't quit and don't wait for a new year or week to start over. Try again tomorrow and take baby steps. Remember ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER DO OVER"

Good luck and Happy New Year 

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter